The Then photograph shows the 19th century Crusher Plant stone quarry looking south near the Illinois State Penitentiary. The old quarry was used to prepare crushed stone for public roads ...
Limestone Quarry near Joliet Penitentiary, n.d. Prisoners from the Illinois state penitentiary in Joliet worked in the limestone quarries lo ed next to the prison seen in the background of this photograph, likely taken around the turn of the twentieth century .
Canal Corridor Postcards Lewis University Collection home. Browse collection
That original Old Joliet Prison cemetery, known as the “Old Convict Cemetery” or as “Monkey Hill,” more properly called Fairmont Hill still remains on the wooded bluff overlooking the Prison and the old now water-filled quarries and prison farmlands, shrouded by overgrowth, its old wooden markers long gone to time.
Joliet, IL Quarry, Illinois State Penitentiary Unposted Early 1900s ... VTG 1940s St Josephs Hospital Joliet Illinois IL Street Scene Linen Postcard. $19.95.
The Illinois State Penitentiary 1858 in Joliet used stone quarried just across the street and, later, St. Mary Nativity’s church foundation 1906 was quarried in situ. The stone soon found favor throughout the area and many of Chicago’s pre-fire buildings were constructed using JLL.
In 1858 the state of Illinois lo ed a new penitentiary in Joliet. Limestone from this Quarry was used to build the Joliet Correctional Center in part because of the abundance of stone for prison walls and cell houses. Prisoners from the Illinois state penitentiary in Joliet worked in the limestone quarries lo ed next to the prison.
Joliet Correctional Center, which was a completely separate prison from Stateville Correctional Center in nearby Crest Hill, opened in 1858.The prison was built with convict labor leased by the state to contractor Lorenzo P. Sanger and warden ys K. Casey.